- A “Vacuum-Less” bottle eliminating the vacuum/resistance within the bottle allowing the pressure to remain neutral and infants can control their own negative suction.
- Supports individual infants feeding development/skill
- Only commercially available bottle/nipple system used in hospitals/affiliations
- Reusable/Non-Disposable System
- Quality-Controlled Nipples
- Retail/financial availability for parents/caregivers
Standard flow bottle system vs. “Vacuum-Less” bottle system
Standard flow bottle system consists of any bottle system WITHOUT an internal vent –including Volufeed/gradufeed with a disposable nipple and/or all commercial bottle systems
Inconsistency with each feeding –
- Different feeders (nurses, therapists, parent/caregivers) tighten or loosen the collar according to their individual techniques – no consistency between feeders
- Bottle assembly level of tightness of the collar changes the pressure/vacuum in the vessel – no consistency between feeders
- Level of tightness of the collar changes the flow rate of the nipple – therefore the choice of nipple flow rate is cancelled
- Disposable Nipples are made by those selling formula to distribute the formula – no consistency or dependability with the flow rates – see last month’s Clinical Spotlight article – Pados, B., Jinhee, P., Thoyre, S., et. al., Milk Flow Rates From Bottle Nipples Used for Feeding Infants Who Are Hospitalized
Vacuum-Less bottle system includes any bottle system WITH the internal vent system –
Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow® bottle system
- Consistency with each feeding
- Same bottle system used for each feeding – REUSABLE BOTTLE SYSTEM
- No change in pressure due to the internal vent system
- Multiple users will not change the pressure in the bottle system due to the internal vent system
- Quality Controlled nipples assure all nipple flow rates are consistent and dependable and must fit the requirements set for individual nipple level and rate before released.
Benefits to the Infants when using a Vacuum-Less System – Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow® bottle system
- Efficiency of milk transfer during EACH feeding
- Eliminates “FEEDING FATIGUE”
- Supports infant’s physiological stability during feeding (i.e., reduction/elimination of A’s and B’s)
- Smooth transition to full oral feedings EQUALS decreased LOS
- Parental satisfaction = improved satisfaction ratings
- Shows reduction in symptoms of colic, spit-up, burping and/or other digestive issues that impact an immature digestive system
- Parents can find this unique bottle system in retail – stores/pharmacies/online retailers – allowing them to follow up with recommendations by the feeding and swallowing/medical professionals.
Investing in Positive Feeding Solutions = Investing in Positive Patient Outcomes
Cost of Dr. Brown’s® Medical Products US facilities (International and Canadian pricing is similar and available upon request.)
Dr. Brown’s® Medical offers bulk bottles, nipples, cleaning products, etc. to allow for an inexpensive feeding solution for your infant population.
|Item Number||Item Description||Item Cost||Individual Cost|
|SB211-MED||2 oz bottle systems with a wire cleaning brush and Preemie level nipple||$49.92||$2.08|
|SN011-MED||24 Individually wrapped Preemie nipples||$18.00||$0.75|
|AC032-MED||Case of 100 microwave steam bags (Each bag can be used 20 times) Need 3 @$0.34 each||$34.00||$1.02|
|AC059-MED||Case of 12 Non-Metal Bottle Brushes can be sanitized daily in Microwave Steam bags or dishwasher.||$26.40||$2.20|
|Dispensing 1 bottle system, 1 extra nipple and 3 microwave steam bags||$6.05||per infant for 60 day feeding solution|
Disposable Systems – Disposable nipples currently being used in most hospital NICUs are not dependable for a flow rate and inconsistent in the delivery of the flow rate. Each of these nipple cost ~ $0.75/each nipple and each VoluFeeds costs ~ $1.05/vessel for a total daily cost of ~$14.40/day to feed an infant.
|Item Cost||Times/Day||Daily Cost|
|Total Cost/Day for Feeding Tool||$14.40|
The Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow® Feeding System is affordable, reusable, dependable and consistent with each feeding.