In recognition of Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness Month, this one-hour webinar will provide attendees an overview on orofacial clefts and the importance of prenatal counseling for families to optimize postnatal feeding success for these infants. The role of breastfeeding will be discussed and how it relates to infants with orofacial clefts. Strategies to support mother and baby for optimal feeding and growth in the presence of cleft palate +/- cleft lip will be reviewed and demonstrated through video and case examples. The information provided is intended to increase the confidence of medical professionals in assisting families and infants with this common congenital anomaly.
After attending this webinar, the learner will be able to:
- Examine the role of prenatal counseling for expectant families of neonates with orofacial clefts
- Determine at least one barrier for breastfeeding infants with cleft palate +/-cleft lip
- Propose at least two strategies to support breastfeeding mothers of infants with cleft palate +/- cleft lip
- 1:00 – 1:05 Introductions
- 1:05 – 1:15 Discuss embryologic and fetal periods of development of orofacial clefts and known etiologies
- 1:15 – 1:30 Discuss the role of prenatal counseling and topics to be included in counseling.
- 1:30 – 1:55 Discuss feeding support from birth to home transition, including prognosis and strategies for support. Will include 1-2 video case studies.
- 1:55 – 2:00 Summary and Question/Answer session
Live webinar includes lecture, PowerPoint slides, handouts, question and answer session, learning assessment and course evaluation. On-demand webinar includes lecture, PowerPoint slides, handouts, recorded question and answer session, learning assessment and course evaluation.
Course Completion Requirements
The learner must view the entire webinar, complete the course evaluation, and complete the post-webinar learning assessment to receive education credit. Login and logout times will be recorded and documented.
Learners must complete the entire course to receive ASHA CEUs. No partial credit awarded. ASHA CE Provider approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
ASHA CEUs available for the live webinar on July 27, 2023 only.
Nursing: Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #16677 for 1 Contact Hour. Participant required to attend 80% of the activity to receive CE.
Dr. Brown’s Medical is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. PD activity approval ID# (7378). This webinar is offered at 0.1 CEUs, educational level, Intermediate. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
For questions re: webinars or CE credit, please contact us at email@example.com
For ADA accommodations, please call: 844.967.6767
Cancellation policy: If Dr. Brown’s Medical is unable to provide webinar at stated date and time, the registered learner will be notified via email
of rescheduled date. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to review the course cancellation policy.